Prof Phil Charles
About the instructor
Professor Phil Charles, founder of the Transport Futures Institute, is an experienced practitioner and skilled educator and trainer with wide ranging experience in government, consulting and academia.
Phil has expertise and experience in transport strategy development and implementation, road safety, traffic and incident management, public transport, intelligent transport systems, strategic analysis and futures scanning, institutional strengthening and professional capability development.
He has worked in technical and senior management roles covering transport strategy, planning and operations; research, education and consulting.
Phil is a Professor of Transport at the University of Queensland in Brisbane and has graduate and postgraduate qualifications in civil engineering/transport, business and public administration and higher education.
How to develop practical solutions to complex transport policy challenges.
Transport policy provides a means by which governments can achieve their objectives and address policy challenges, by instituting laws, regulations and delivering programs.
This course will help you to:
- learn the key concepts in developing practical solutions to complex transport policy challenges
- review current practices and developments in transport policy, and see how to apply lessons learned to get results
- be able to specifically describe the transport policy problem
- consider the different perspectives of key stakeholders on any policy issue
- analyse policy issues and approaches, and potential alternative solutions
- engage in practical exercises translating concepts into practice
- know where to obtain more information.
Our approach to learning:
1. Strategy: The transport policy context; desired outcomes; policy process; and key stakeholders.
2. Analysis: Define and scope transport policy problems from different stakeholder perspectives. Policy analyst’s toolkit.
3. Instruments: Selecting a transport policy instrument. Options generation and evaluation.
4. Decisions: Transport policy decision making process. Options assessment, including a multi-criteria analysis tool. business case development.
Take control of developing your professional practice and enjoy a successful career.
A certificate will be provided at the end of the course.
What do you get in this course?
- 11 workbooks comprising over 90 pages, providing a reference you can download for future review
- 6 tools are provided for you to download and use
- 12 reflection exercises to apply the knowledge and skills to practical scenarios
- 4 quizzes so you can test what you have learned
- access to the online course materials for 12 months
- access to the instructor by email for help.
- 2. Analysis: overview FREE
- 2. Analysis. Action Checklist
- 2.1 Analysis. Transport Policy Mistakes & Approaches
- 2.1 Analysis. Approaches [Present]
- 2.2 Analysis. Defining Problems
- 2.2 Analysis. Issue Drivers [Present]
- 2.3 Analysis. The Analyst's toolkit
- 2.3 Analysis. Defining problems. Analysis tools. [Present]
- 2. Analysis. Quiz
- 2: Analysis. Discuss a policy issue
- 3. Instruments: overview FREE
- 3. Instruments. Action Checklist
- 3.1 Instruments. Policy Instruments
- 3.1 Instruments. Policy Instruments. [Present]
- 3.2 Instruments. Option Generation & Evaluation
- 3.2 Instruments. Options Analysis. [Present]
- 3.3 Instruments. Case Study KonSULT [Present]
- 3. Instruments. Exercises (docx)
- 3. Instruments. Quiz
- 3. Instruments. Discuss policy instruments
- 4. Decisions: overview FREE
- 4. Decisions. Action Checklist
- 4.1 Decisions. Key Concepts of Transport Policy Assessment
- 4.1 Decisions. Key Assessment Concepts [Present]
- 4.2 Three Levels of Transport Policy Analysis
- 4.2 Decisions. Three Levels of Analysis [Present]
- 4.3 How to Develop and Present a Transport Policy Business Case
- 4.3 Decisions. Business Case [Present]
- 4. Decisions. Exercises (docx)
- 4. Decisions. Quiz
- 4. Decisions. Discuss benefits and costs